The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
- The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
- High ethical standards in business and professions, the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations, and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
- The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business, and community life;
- The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
There are four avenues of service: community, club, vocational and international.
Community service responds to the needs of a local community. Rotary clubs should determine top priorities for service projects by first learning about a community’s needs and assets, and then developing a response that addresses them.
Club service is the participating in one’s own club, working on committees to further the goals of Rotary, and serving in club leadership roles.
As business leaders, Rotarians share their skills and expertise through vocational service, one of the Four Avenues of Service. Your vocational service efforts can play a vital role in improving the quality of life for those hardworking members of the community who need direction and expertise. By participating in any of a number of vocational service activities mentoring, career days, vocational awards, business assistance, or even talking about your job at a club meeting members can turn experience into an invaluable resource for others.
The development of understanding and goodwill among Rotarians and among the people at large is the specific task of International Service in Rotary. International Service can be broken down into four general areas as follows:
- World Community Service Activities
- International Educational and Cultural Exchange Activities
- Special International Observances and Events
- International Meetings.